I’ve been making one or other version of this recipe for a few years now. Initially, it was a recipe I found in a local cookbook, and as a young baker, I followed the recipe to the letter.
Then sometime last year, I rediscovered it and tried my had at veganising the original. I did away with strict measurements, and used herbs and veggies I thought would work even better, and depending on what we had in our fridge and pantry, that’s how I’ve been making it ever since. I know however, that many of you prefer recipes that call for specific, full-proof quantities, so when I decided to bake a batch yesterday, I thought I’d measure everything to make an official recipe. And I’m really pleased to say that I’ve perfected it, and thanks to all of you, I now have a proper recipe to follow from here on out.
These muffins are:
– packed with flavour and veggies in every bite,
– incredibly soft, light and moist,
– easily adaptable to include/exclude herbs, spices and veggies to suit your personal preferences,
– keep well, so can be made ahead of time,
– a great option for serving as an appetizer, or to take along to gatherings;
– can also be popped into lunchboxes for snacking.
Some notes about this recipe:
- Aquafaba is the brine found in canned chickpeas or any other variety of white beans. This is used as an egg replacement.
- I’ve opted to use unsweetened soy milk in this recipe, because it is fuller and richer than it’s nut milk counterparts. It also happens to be cheaper and more accessible. Don’t worry if you don’t enjoy the taste of soy milk – you won’t be able to detect the milk’s flavour in the baked product anyway.
- You may substitute the veggies and herbs as desired, but keep to the same/similar quantities to ensure that the recipe still works.
- The recipe calls for nutritional yeast. While it isn’t a critical part of the recipe, it definitely adds to the flavour profile, to provide a more tasty product. Should you choose to omit this, the recipe will still work, but I’d strongly suggest tasting the batter for saltiness and flavour.
I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as we do!