We highly recommend this recipe for mornings when you’re in need of extra care. It’s not your everyday kind of oats. It’s the kind you make on a relaxed Sunday morning, to share with that special person in your life. Furthermore, unlike pancakes and other breakfast delicacies, that take some time to prepare, this oatmeal can be whipped up in just ten minutes, which means you have more time for rest and other leisurely activities.
This porridge is warm, creamy, thick and decadent.
The cacao powder gives it a deep, rich, chocolate flavour, which is not only delicious, but is beneficial towards your health too. What’s more is that oats and cacao, combined with ground flaxseed and cinnamon powder, makes this porridge a nutritional powerhouse.
Top with your favourite seasonal fruit, and you’ll have made your own gourmet breakfast!
Some quick facts:
- Cinnamon is high in calcium and fibre.
- Flaxseeds are one of the best plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flaxseeds are high in fibre, protein, potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Oats are high in fibre and protein, but low in calories.
- Oats are rich in polyphenols.
- Oats also contain magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and thiamine.
- Raw cacao powder contains a high amount of antioxidants.
- Raw cacoa powder also contains compounds such as calcium, magnesium, and protein, to name a few.
Mercola, J. (n.d.). What is cacoa good for? Retrieved from http://foodfacts.mercola.com/cacao.html
Mercola, J. (n.d.). What is cinnamon good for? Retrieved from http://foodfacts.mercola.com/cinnamon.html
Pratt, S., Matthews, K. (2006). Superfoods: Fourteen foods that will change your life. Great Britain: Bantam Books.
Wergin, A. (2015). Flaxseed is nutritionally powerful. Retrieved from http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/flaxseed-is-nutritionally-powerful